Find a way to change your disposition; everyone will be glad you did.
Sometimes our disposition is destined to be vinegary due to circumstances beyond our control, such as:
- Lack of sleep. (Sometimes beyond our control.)
- Concern about a family illness.
- Worry about unpaid bills. (Sometimes due to our lack of control.)
- Worry about an unexpected expense.
However, circumstances like:
- running late for work,
- being hungover,
- not liking your job or boss,
- just not feeln’ it today,
- having quarreled with your girlfriend…and the like, are not justifiable reasons to act unprofessional and impose your sour disposition on everyone around you.
Here are 7 ways to help you improve your disposition:
- Take a few minutes think of that one person who always makes you laugh; recall what you two laughed about last.
- Avoid or limit watching the news, at least that morning.
- Think about someone who’s really going through some stuff. (Make an effort to ask them about it or take them to lunch.)
- Dress up. (Our choice of attire helps build our confidence and feel more professional; people react to us differently.)
- Instead of scrolling through your social media or engaging in idle talk on your way to work, listen to music from your younger days. (Instant boost!)
- Ready? It’s a bit cliché but here goes, pray, meditate, count your blessings. (Did you eat last night? Do you have place to sleep? Do you have a job? Are you in good health? Do you have enough money to buy that pricey coffee? And, do you have people in your life who like you? A bit touchy-feely, but you get my point, right?
If none of the above 7 ways work for you, maybe they’ll inspire you to come up with your own list.
“My part is to improve the present moment.” –John Wesley
Helping Businesses and Individuals Find Success Through Better Communication and Social Skills
Rosalinda Oropeza Randall, Social Skills and Civility Presenter, Media Source, and author of “Don’t Burp in the Boardroom.”
Presentations are available to support HR policies, sales teams, up and coming managers, millennials & new-hire orientation process, service technicians, professional development events, conferences, college/university students, interns. For more information, please contact me, 650.871.6200.
©2017 Rosalinda Randall. All Rights Reserved.